The UK Research Office (UKRO) is the European office of the UK Research Councils. It delivers a subscription-based advisory service for research organisations (in the main UK HEIs) and provides National Contact Point services on behalf of the UK Government. UKRO’s mission is to maximise UK engagement in EU-funded research, innovation and higher education activities by:
- Enabling sponsors and subscribers to participate confidently in EU programmes and fully exploit the opportunities available to them;
- Supporting UK input into European research, innovation and higher education policy development by informing, advising and liaising with the appropriate bodies both in the UK and the EU;
- Delivering a set of unique, specialised services that are tailored to meet the evolving needs of sponsors and subscribers.
- UKRO Portal: always up to date with the latest in EU funding and policy: The UKRO portal provides tailored news articles which communicate the latest EU funding and policy developments, as well as clear and accessible web pages on the different strands of EU research, innovation and higher education activities.
- Enquiry service: individual support and advice, all year round: All subscribers have a named contact at UKRO, who provides guidance, information, and advice on EU policies, programmes and funding opportunities.
- Annual visit: a tailored event for your institution: Each UK-based subscriber is entitled to an annual visit from their UKRO European Advisor, who will provide expert training, information, and/or one-to-one sessions tailored to the requirements of the institution.
- Meeting room in Brussels: a venue in Brussels: UKRO's meeting room is located within easy walking distance of most European Commission buildings, the European Parliament and the Council of Minister. It is regularly used by staff from subscribing institutions, for example for European project meetings. Subscribers can also use a small visitor's office.
- Specialist training courses, focus groups and information events, providing in-depth insight into EU programmes;*
- Annual conference for European officers, with the latest information on programmes and policies presented by European Commission staff, and other speakers;*
- UK National Contact Points for the Marie Curie Actions and the European Research Council (ERC), each providing a dedicated helpdesk, website and specialised information and training events*
* These services are also available to non-subscribers.
The Office operates on a membership basis, receiving subscriptions from universities and other research organisations in the UK, as well from some non-UK organisations.